Friday, November 2, 2012

Cannon Delight

None of these took me more than five minutes to write. So I'm pretty proud, considering. -->

•••
Country, country, oh far and wide.
Unceasing sight for sight to see,
see the light cease at night,
for forts we fight, fortnights lay siege.

Discomfort fester in a sea
seeking comfortability
wind still whirring, stirring tea
to all the fish, afloat, or flee.

Lifeless, lustless, headless, hauntless
harness lifelessness, be gone with
such and such, or so for whats,
As reason slips. And skips. And cuts.

A newfound friend, a foreign hand
Oh country, country, now our land
You bled and burned and dried and now
this blessed land, not for whom, but how?

•••
Unrepenting southerner, I lay to thee a blow
For somewhere out among the stars,
your reason stands to grow.
Not here, nor there, nor everywhere,
may you tread, black tires forwarding.
Heed, rebellious confederator,
that old Civil forewarning.

•••
I found a cut upon my lip,
Tender and wet across the tip.
My tongue massage, lather, and sense,
whether one slice, or increments.
I found a cut upon my brow,
I saw it yes, but don't know how.
To thee I muse, and feel thy soul,
No clear mirror could I cajole.
Now it is night, I lie awake,
As effects upon my face take.
To know that nicks and cuts abound
returns me to thy battleground.

•••
Away the redbird flew to morn,
wormless, chirpless, now forelorn.
A song he sings to doves and gulls,
"Be mindful of the trigger pulls.
While all wiser, the early riser,
Curtailed hopes may spare a miser.
So dream your dreams and find your fun,
But know I speak for everyone,
there they are,
there may they stay,
lest they sing:
Men, bombs away.
Two-fold is it true for thee,
a stainless bird, a crooning she.
As ivory feathers adorn our nest,
My scarlet cometh from war out west.”

--Eliot Sill

No comments:

Post a Comment