Saturday, November 6, 2010

Hilarity

How do we define what is funny and what is not funny? Everybody seems to have a different gauge on it. There are some really successful comedians that I absolutely hate and have never laughed at (Dane Cook), but obviously, since he's so popular, apparently a lot of people disagree with me. Just like I cannot understand how those people think he's funny, those people probably wonder the same thing about me. Back in Springfield, the group of friend's that make up this post, minus Brendan and I, were considered kings (and queen) of hilarity. They formed, in my opinion, a pretty damn good improv troupe. Now don't worry, Allegra. I'm not making this post about improv, or sports, video games, or college for that matter. I'm just simply using improv as an example of what I mean when I say people have different gauges of funny. Like I said, back in Springfield, those guys were masters of improv. But now, only Nick (bastard) is doing improv, as far as I know. So, apparently people here have a different view on the comic talent of my friends. And honestly, aside from Titanic Players, I don't think that the improv troupes here are funny. Right back atcha, bitches.
I think that I'm generally a pretty funny guy, and that's something I pride myself on. My type of humor is relatively cruel, but at the same time rarely offends people. As for when it does, I apologize. I promise I don't mean it. And if I do say something cruel and mean it, it's probably not a joke and I probably don't like you. I also like to be committed to jokes, and that seems to be a recurring theme in our group as well. I myself think that that is the key to making the funniest jokes. It gives a firm, funny base to build from and make more branching, hilarious jokes. Example: me being dubbed "Classic Brian". To my knowledge, nothing negative has come from it. It was intended by Conor and Eliot to be offensive, and I think that they were a little shocked when I embraced it. But here I am, and it always makes my day whenever someone calls me classic, especially when they don't know about the joke or don't know me very well.
I also realize that there are many other forms of "comedy" out there. Since I know for a fact that Robert loves blog posts in which he receives compliments, here's a shout out to him. Robert has mastered a type of funny to which I can't really put a name. He's come up with the comedy gold idea that he'll change his personality with the seasons and see how thrown off people will get. Autumn Robert was bro Robert, and I personal found it to be chill as fuck. Good work, bro. Can't wait to see next season's emergence. He's also deadlocked in a spite war with Eliot for all eternity. Keep it up, fellas. Then there are those really over-the-top, loud and obnoxious people who think that making obvious jokes is a good idea. It's not. Stop it. Stop it now. There's a reason everyone else in the room didn't make the joke. It's not because you're infinitely more clever and arrived at the joke first. It's because it's a stupid joke that's been beaten to death by other stupid people like yourself (This is me not joking and intentionally being cruel). One person in particular comes to mind right off the bat, and I really can't stand to be around him. I physically fled his presence, which is something I've never done to another human being before. There's also skit comedy, which I tried out for, but I realize that I'm not really a fan. Granted, you meet and you write the script and make it a funny situation, but from there it's just an acting contest. I think true humor is being able to make stuff up on the spot, go with it, build from it, and be able to reference back to it later.
These are just my humble opinions. Obviously there are infinitely more forms of humor than the like 3 I mentioned, but those are the first ones that came to me. You're entitled to disagree, and I'm entitled to respond, "FUCK YOU." Jokingly, of course.
P.S. - Puns. Are. Not. Funny. Sorry, baby.

13 comments:

  1. I'd also like to make a note that if you try to use "<3" in a post, the thing freaks out and bitches at you about html. Looks like blogspot must be a bunch of those over-the-top people and are taking vengeance. Bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I HAVE NOT TRIED OUT FOR IMPROV YET. I'M NOT NOT FUNNY LIKE ELIOT AND MADA. I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW THAT GOES TOMORROW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2. I like this post because I am complimented in it. It's better than Eliot's post because other people weren't complimented in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3. In programming language, "<" means "i'm going to make something really fancy happen and close it with a '>' and if i don't close it with a '>' my program will explode."

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4. Brendan will not like this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhhhhh I was wondering when I'd be mentioned. As long as someone thinks I'm funny.

    And yes. Puns are funny. When delivered at appropriate times. And by me. Let me refer to my last paragraph (as long as someone thinks I'm funny). I am funny. I do. I am hilarity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robert- ........ ........ ..... damn it.

    Brendan-Puns are pretty funny, but word splicing is the best! And it's difficult too. I call it splordicing (and for the record I pronounce the "o" like a "u" but didn't put a "u" because that would lack continuity with the word I was using).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha brendan I do think you're funny. I just knew I'd get a lot of hilarious feedback if I said that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what's reall funn, Eliot?

    ReplyDelete