Saturday, May 14, 2011

CA$H

I dislike money. Just the concept of currency seems silly in general if you think about it. We take a certain type of paper and a lot of semi-precious metals and we deem them worth a certain value. Then we take them and we trade them away for things that we want or that we need. And if you don't have enough of these pieces of paper and circles of tin and nickel, why, we'll say your "poor" and we'll look on you with disdain, or maybe pity. And if you have a lot of it, then certainly you deserve a position of reverence and power.

I miss the days of bartering. And when I say miss, I mean they sound really cool but I obviously wasn't around for them. But I feel like that was a better way of conducting commerce. You know exactly what you're giving and you know exactly what you're getting. It's like, "Hey man, I have this extra television and I notice you have a lot of cows. Wanna trade me one of them?" There is no inflation rate on cows (unless they eat a lot, amiright? hahaha). I'll kill it and eat it in the form of many, many hamburgers over the next few months, and it'll be delicious. You can't eat dollar bills! Who was the wise guy who even came up with currency? What was that thought process? "Hmmm, this whole trading business is too direct. Let's institute an unstable middle man that has no real value other than what we give it!" Whaaaaat a jackass.

I gave up my pursuit of a career in engineering because I realized I was really bad at it and it just wasn't for me. I basically had a job guaranteed to me right out of college, but i threw that away. Why? Because I want to have fun in college. I've always heard that college is the best (at least) 4 years of your young life, and I didn't want to throw that away and be miserable just so I could possibly have a bigger annual salary down the road. Obviously I realize the importance of money because we live in the real world, which is an imperfect world. And yeah, I'd like to win the lottery as much as the next guy, because it would make life so much easier. But honestly, I think the world would be better of if we just regressed a few centuries economy-wise. I know it sounds backwards and extremely idealistic, but hey, this is my blog post.

Anyway, I have to go run to the bank now before I go out for the night, so peace out.

-Classic

2 comments:

  1. The switch back to the barter system would be impossible. The stock market would have to be thrown out. Large corporations could not survive. There isn't enough land for everyone to produce their own goods to trade so millions upon millions of people would die of starvation because of their lack of ability to make real material goods. Cities would become hotspots for the homeless and the criminals as their numbers increased. Drugs dealers would run society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you missed the part where I acknowledged this was completely unrealistic and that this was mostly a joke.

    -Classic

    ReplyDelete