Monday, April 16, 2012

Nick - I Hate Happiness

I feel terrible and it's late. Quick post!

Most of the music I listen to is pretty depressing. I mean, we all know that The Mountain Goats are bleak. Two Gallants, as you saw last week, sound pretty forlorn all the time. In fact, I don't think I really like any happy music.

Maybe I like some vengefully happy music. Or some laugh-in-the-face-of-defeat music. But the truth is, I just don't like happy music. I find it emotionally draining. It makes me feel like I'm being forced to be happy, it all just feels so fake. The song didn't give me anything to be happy about, it just told me to get up and dance.

No, I prefer my remorseful and bitter and desolate music. It puts me at ease and relaxes me. It's weird, but happy music makes me upset and upset music makes me happy.

-Nick.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Nick. You are so nineteen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roma, I think you're construing my position as being an endorsement of teen angst in music, which is not the case. What I'm getting at is my preference for narrative storytelling in songs. Too much music is just that empty, poppy fake-happiness. Song that evoke a narrative with relatable themes are what I'm arguing for here.

    Also I'm twenty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah just kidding. I'm full of angst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You think you know angst, sonny? My mothers name is angst!

    ReplyDelete